Jessica Sautter has a Bachelor’s Degree from Eastern Michigan University in Elementary Education with a Major in Reading and a Minor in Mathematics.

Full Bio →

Written by

Natasha McLachlan is a writer who currently lives in Southern California. She is an alumna of California College of the Arts, where she obtained her B.A. in Writing and Literature. Her current work revolves around auto insurance guides and informational articles. She truly enjoys helping others learn more about everyday, practical matters through her work.

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Natasha McLachlan
Content Writer Natasha McLachlan

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance provider and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider. Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about car insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything car insurance-related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by car insurance experts.

An SR50 is a form or affidavit that provides proof to the BMV in Indiana that you have current auto insurance. The form reflects the beginning and ending dates of your policy and is often required when you are reinstating your driver’s license. The SR50 itself demonstrates that you are carrying the minimal amount of insurance as required by the state of Indiana. However, you can carry a higher amount of coverage if you desire for your vehicle.

To learn how to file it properly, click here.

For those who own a vehicle, all that you need to do is attach the SR50 form to the policy itself as the insurance company will ensure that the state is made aware of your coverage. If you do not own a vehicle, then you will need to file the SR50 with a named operator’s policy. The form will be filed by the insurance company electronically to the state in the same manner as an SR22 form.

In fact, the only practical difference between the forms is that the insurance company is required to inform the state if you lapse or discontinue your policy with an SR22. With an SR50, the insurance company is not required to notify the state.

The cost of adding the SR50 form is minimal and in the form of a one-time fee. This is because the form is not insurance, but merely a notification by the insurance company to the state that you have at least the legal minimal coverage for you or your vehicle.